Considered as one of the finest prime ministers the country has ever produced, Atal Bihari Vajpayee was awarded the countryâ€™s highest civilian honor, The Bharat Ratna in 2015. He is very popular among young and old alike however there may some things that you did not know about the â€˜King of Oratoryâ€™, Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Check them out!
1. Vajpayee as a teenager was jailed briefly for opposing the British Rule. He was inspired by Communism but choose to go ahead and join the RSS party and Jan Singh.
2. He discontinued studying law in order to run an RSS magazine in the 1950s. he progressed through the levels at the RSS party and went on to become the moderate face of BJP.
4. Vajpayee was a close friend and an ally of Shyama Prasad Mukherjee, the found of the BJS party, the predecessor to BJP.
5. He overtook the baton from Mukherjee soon after and become a Member of parliament for the first time in 1957.
6.Â He was a member for Parliament for 10 full terms, from 1957 to 2009.
7. Vajpayee became the first Prime Minister outside the dominant Congress party to serve a full five-year term from 1998 to 2004.
8.His first reign as the Prime Minister of India, lasted only 13 days as there were lack of support for the BJP party and collapsed when the AIADMK party withdrew its support from the coalition that was formed.
9.Vajpayee is considered to be an excellent orator, he achieved worldwide fame when he gave an emotional speech as Indiaâ€™s External affairs minister at the United Nations General Assembly in 1977.
10.He wrote poems in his pastime and is considered to be a poet of some repute. Many pieces of his poems are quoted and used by his party, BJP as slogans.